When thinking about the job of an event planner, it is often believed the profession is heavy on the fun and light on the workload. And that couldn’t be farther from the actual truth. The responsibilities associated with planning an event are a huge undertaking. What with all the time consuming details, organizing, multitasking and plain old fashioned work that is involved. And while I do love my job, I regularly say if work were meant to be fun it would be called play.
An event planner oversees and is responsible to coordinate and execute events and meetings of every size. And the work is filled with countless tasks, details and challenges. Planning an event is a huge undertaking and working with a good planner will help to manage everything from start to finish.
Six Must Have Qualities of a Top Notch Event Planner
Before the search for a planner begins, it is important to have a vision and understand the kind of event you want to plan as well as the things to look for in a top notch event planner.
1. People Skills – To be effective and successful in their job, it is imperative for an event planner to be able to negotiate, work, communicate and interact with all sorts of people including customers, suppliers, attendees and VIPs. To possess people skills and the ability and knack to deal with individuals in all kinds of situations with tact, skill and subtlety is vital in an event planner’s position.
2. Organization – Organization is a big part of successful event planning. It cannot be over said, there are never enough hours in a day to get through it all. And really an event planner’s job requires them to be all things to all people. To be successful, it is essential to be able to; think on your feet, multi task, apply attention to detail and so much more while at the same time retain all the information. Good organizational skills will help a planner to elude some of those last minute complications and help an event planner come to the table prepared for everything including problems.
3. Industry Experience/Knowledge – An important part of an event planner’s job is not only to stay on top of all the latest and greatest industry trends but have an understanding of them as well. Customers are attracted to an event planner in part due to their expertise and know- how. A great event planner is one that while an event is happening has the ability to understand as well as the knowledge, experience and expertise to oversee and rectify any situation, no matter what the circumstances, environment and surroundings are.
4. Flexibility – Flexibility is a must for an event planner to do their job effectively. In all stages of event planning, a planner must tackle an array of last minute tasks and challenges. If there’s one thing I know for sure when it comes to planning an event, there will always be changes. And the ability to be flexible and adaptable and react on site without missing a beat is second to none.
5. Problem Solving – Let’s face it, with every job there is bound to be some hitches and glitches, but for event planners this can be particularly true. Problem solving is a crucial skill for an event planner. Without problem solving it would be impossible for an event planner to effectively do their job. To be victorious an event planner must be able to problem solve right on the spot. It really is up to the planner to ensure that no matter what the problem or issue is they are able to react behind the scenes and keep it all on track.
6. Passion – The mystery to being a successful event planner is passion. A successful professional enjoys and loves what they do and an event planner is no different. Event planning takes blood, sweat and at times a tear or two along with hard work, time, creativity and most importantly passion. The mission is to plan and execute a perfect event with as few glitches as possible and all with a smile. One of the more amazing parts of our industry is that we are always learning new things and with each new event provides the chance to engage in new challenges and ignites the flame of passion.
In my experience, the key to success lies in the details. And in the long run an experienced eagle eye is the ticket. An event planner will not only save you time but money as well. They will manage everything from start to finish. So you want to ensure to partner with the person that is perfect for you. Be sure to ask questions and communicate your needs and wants as it is so essential when choosing and working with the right event planner.