The meetings industry is looking up so says American Express Meetings and Events. Sounds like good news all around. The latest American Express Meetings and Events 2016 Global Meetings and Events Forecast is here and the industry predictions are encouraging. The Forecast put together by American Express Meetings and Events is based on several sources including industry info, surveys and third-party data collected in July and August 2015; as well as interviews with industry professionals, from North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and Central and South America. In addition information and data was collected from planned meeting activities as well as follow-up interviews with top hotel and air suppliers. Meeting professionals who participated in the Forecast feel encouraged and positive about what 2016 looks like for our industry.
Top Destinations for Meetings
No surprise here when it comes to meeting destinations, larger cities continue to rule. 75% of those surveyed anticipate their meetings will happen in a large city.
The latest and greatest Forecast anticipates that the leading North American meeting destinations are somewhat the same as in 2015. Orlando leads with the top spot. Followed by Chicago, Las Vegas, San Diego, Atlanta, Washington, DC, New York, Dallas, Nashville and Phoenix. For the third year in a row the same locales fill the top five. This year Orlando overtook Chicago for that coveted number one spot. And Phoenix overtook New Orleans for number ten.
This time around Europe has seen some changes. London and Paris retain the number one and two positions followed by Amsterdam. Then comes Brussels, Frankfort, Munich, Copenhagen, Barcelona, Riga and Berlin. Amsterdam bumped Barcelona from third to eighth place. While Rome and Nice have been taken over by Copenhagen and Riga.
In Asia Pacific, Singapore continues to hold the top spot. Followed by Shanghai, Hong Kong/Macau, Beijing, Sydney, Tokyo, Melbourne, Bangkok, Bali and Taipei. In 2016 Beijing made the list pushing Sydney down one spot. And Shanghai and Hong Kong/Macau mixed it up and flipped rankings.
Central and South America sees Rio de Janeiro and Riviera Maya/Cancun keeping hold of the number one and two spots for a third year in a row. Followed by Panama City, São Paulo, Cartagena, Punta Cana, Buenos Aires/Mendoza, Cusco/Macchu Pichu/Lima, Los Cabos and Santiago.
Global Trends for Meetings in 2016
This year the American Express Meetings and Events 2016 Global Meetings and Events Forecast was hopeful. Stating the number of meetings almost everywhere is on the rise. And growth is expected, while modest, in the corporate travel marketplace; including ground transportation, hotel and air. And with lots of meeting trends on the rise; here are some anticipated and interesting ones to note for 2016.
• Attendee numbers are on the rise for 2016 meetings in all regions.
• 85% of those surveyed anticipate the number of meetings planned will stay the same or increase.
• Costs for air travel are expected to rise 1.9% globally. With air travel costs estimated to escalate the greatest in Europe.
• Meeting budgets will improve.
• With fewer budget restrictions, organizations will be investing in more face-to-face meetings.
• Asia is expected to plan the fewest face-to-face meetings with Europe anticipated to plan the most.
• Meeting professionals in North America require the lengthiest planning lead time. With Central/South America needing the least.
• Hotel room rates will increase as supply and demand comes into play.
• Group meeting hotel rates will increase. North America will rise 4.2%, Europe 2.3% and Asia-Pacific and Central/South America each 1.5%.
• No surprise here meeting professionals will look to utilize social media technology and mobile apps.
• Internationally training and internal meetings are expected increase over any other kind of meeting.
• Group and Individual travel is expected to rise.
• Ground Transportation fess are will stay the same worldwide.
The American Express Meetings and Events 2016 Global Meetings and Events Forecast delivers all the stats and information needed from budgets to air travel, from hotels to planning metrics, from meeting numbers to meeting trends and everything else in between. Its eight-four pages of insightful and smart info. To see the entire Forecast click HERE.
Source: With Thanks, photo and information courtesy of American Express Meetings and Events.