Do job interviews scare the #@$% out of you? Does the thought of putting yourself out there give you a case of the hives? Do you dislike talking about your greatness? If you answered yes to any (or all) of those questions, you’re not alone. Event planning or not, there aren’t many people around that really enjoy job interviews. And event planning interview experience is a special breed. Just thinking about the opportunity to sell ourselves for that perfect position, can be an intimidating scenario.
If you can relate to any of this, then we have the perfect edition of Ask the Expert for you. Our group of know-it-alls are back. To tackle the industry questions you’re asking. Our ensemble of pros are ready to take on your challenges and share their event planning experience and know-how.
Ask the Expert – Getting Ready for Event Planning Job Interviews
What steps do you recommend one take prior to an event planning job interview?
While extremely important, getting ready for an interview isn’t all about looking good. When it comes to gearing up for an event planning interview, it’s likely you will have to prove you can do it all. Not only the creative and innovative parts but the logistical undertakings as well. First and foremost you want to ensure that you are prepared. So plan for your interview. Do the research. Use the internet. Look into the organization and visit their website. Tap into Google and social media. Become one with your resume and be ready to answer questions about it. Prepare potential questions that could be asked by the interviewer. And most importantly practice, practice, practice.
Ask the Expert – Job Interviews, Questions, Questions, and More Questions
What questions do you think are asked during event planning job interviews?
It’s difficult to know exactly what questions that will be asked in any job interview. There definitely will be job specific questions as well as the typical ones. They may and probably will include education and employment; strengths and weaknesses; and accomplishments and difficulties. Here is a smattering of some of the more general and possible interview questions.
• How do you remain up-to-date with the event industry?
• Are you tech savvy?
• How many events have you planned in a year?
• Do you have an event specialty?
• How do you evaluate an events’ success?
• What do you like most about your job?
• How do you stay motivated when things don’t go as planned?
• What are the most important skills that an event planner needs to have?
• How do you handle your time?
• How do you manage stressful situations?
• What do you think are the demands of an event planner?
• How has your education prepared you for a career in event planning?
• Why do you want to work for our organization?
• Do you have experience in promoting events?
• What is the largest event you have ever planned?
• Is there situation when you had to deal with an event problem? How did you solve it?
• Describe a time when you had to handle a challenging client. What was the outcome?
• Are you comfortable working long and/or unusual hours?
• For an event planner, what is more important an independent worker or a team player?
The International Institute of Event Management says, the top three interview questions every event planner must be ready for are: Tell us why you’re the best candidate for this job? Why do you want to work for us? What would you like to learn about our company and this job?