Super Bowl XLVII (let’s see how good you are at your Roman numerals) will be held this year in New Orleans on Sunday, February 3, 2013. The AFC champion, the Baltimore Ravens, will be facing the NFC champion, the San Francisco 49ers. And by now I’m sure many of you are busy planning for your own Super Bowl party. Or perhaps you’re even luckier and you”re just going to be attending a friend’s Super Bowl party.
Super Bowl Party Food-Devilishly Good
What would a Super Bowl party be without the traditional food fare such as pizzas, Buffalo wings and chips, to name a few. And while I know these are not the greatest foods for our health, it just wouldn’t be a Super Bowl party without junk food. Sorry. I contemplated writing about some healthy alternatives to serve during a Super Bowl party. But then I thought “what the heck” it’s okay for us to be eating junk food on this non-official national holiday.
Related Super Bowl Party Ideas
Nearly 20,000,000 Americans will be attending a Super Bowl party. For those of you that are still considering hosting a Super Bowl party, here are a couple of additional post to review:
- Planning a Party This Super Bowl Weekend? Better Begin the Belt-Tightening Now
- Super Bowl Party Ideas
Super Bowl Parties-the Fun Facts
It’s estimated that the average person will consume over 1200 calories on Super Bowl Sunday. Truthfully, I thought it would be much higher than that.
Additional fun facts about consumption amounts at Super Bowl parties:
- 8,000,000 pounds – the amount of guacamole that will be consumed on Super Bowl Sunday
- 14,500 tons – of chips consumed
- 8,000,000 pounds – of popcorn popped
- 1.25 billion – Buffalo chicken wings will be devoured
- 325.5 million – gallons of beer gulped
And, as a result of the above:
- 20% – amount of increase in antacid sales on the Monday following the game
- 7 million – number of people that will call in sick on Monday following the game
* References: wikipedia.org , Treehugger.com
Super Bowl parties are as much a part of American culture as Thanksgiving. It’s a time when friends and family gather to root for their favorite team (especially if yours is lucky enough to be one of the teams playing). Super Bowl party food tends to focus on junk food. It”s quick, easy to make and, let”s face it, everybody loves one item or another.
Oh and about that Roman numeral XLVII, it’s 47, as in Super Bowl XLVII.