Whether you’re a shower curtain ring salesperson or a CEO of a large corporation, you’re probably making your way home for the Thanksgiving holiday. Thanksgiving is the busiest travel holiday of the year in the US. Thanksgiving travel largely gets underway on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving is one of the most important holidays of the year. Did you know that there are 37 places in the US named Plymouth? Thanksgiving holiday travel can be a logistics nightmare given the time of year.
Thanksgiving Travel Stats
- 46.3 million Americans travel for Thanksgiving.
- Most will travel 50 miles or more from home.
- Thanksgiving holiday travel period is defined as Wednesday through Sunday (with both Wednesday and Sunday being the busiest).
- 41.3 million people will travel by automobile.
- 3.55 million Americans will opt to travel home by air.
- Amtrak expects to carry between 150,000 to 200,000 passengers on the busiest travel day, Wednesday.
The average distance traveled for Thanksgiving will be 549 miles roundtrip.
- Americans will spend an average of $573 during Thanksgiving.
- The average age of Thanksgiving travelers is just under 34 years.